Best European tourist destinations at the best value for money
- Zagreb (Croatia) and Ljubljana (Slovenia) lead the ranking of cities with a higher degree of visitor satisfaction
- The major European capitals are losing positions due to their high hotel prices and due to a low valuation by visitors of the tourist offer in the destinations
- The study analyzes air connectivity, average hotel price, and visitor satisfaction and perception levels
Mabrianone of the leading tourist intelligence companies, has shared a new study of the best European cities according to the value for money they offered during the month of June this year.
For this new study air connectivity the data was analyzed, looking at number of places on scheduled flights and the number of cities and countries with which the destination has a direct connection.
The average hotel price and the level of visitor satisfaction were also taken into account. This analysis of visitor satisfaction is part of the Mabrian clues which measure the level of satisfaction and the perception that visitors have of destinations in general and concerning the most relevant areas such as Security, climate, accommodation and tourism product offering.
- The destination that offered the best value for money during the month of June was Zagreb, located in the northwest of Croatia. Although it is among the last in terms of air connectivity, it shows a very high level of satisfaction in most of the areas analyzed. At the same time, it offers a very competitive accommodation price compared to the other destinations analyzed.
- In second place was Athenswhich is better connected than Zagreb but with a slightly higher average price and lower satisfaction levels than Zagreb.
- Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia, is one of the analyzed destinations with the most competitive hotel prices and high levels of satisfaction. However, it remains in third place because its air connectivity is limited.
- Dubrovnik, also in Croatia, is the destination with the highest levels of satisfaction among the analyzed destinations. However, the average price of hotels is high and air connectivity is limited, which places it in ninth place.
London and Paris, although better served, are penalized by a very high average hotel price among the destinations analyzed. In addition, both capitals showed lower levels of satisfaction. Visitors are particularly unhappy with hotel service in London and the supply of tourism products in Paris.
Other major tourist cities such as Berlin, Barcelona and amsterdam are at the bottom of the list for their high hotel prices and for the level of satisfaction, which remains low. This last indicator may be due to the tourist saturation they have been experiencing since the beginning of the summer, as well as the flight delays and cancellations that have occurred in recent times.
In order, the best tourist cities for quality and price in June are: Zagreb (Croatia), Athens (Greece), Ljubljana (Slovenia), Rome (Italy), Vienna (Austria), Lisbon (Portugal), Madrid (Spain), Milan (Italy), Dubrovnik (Croatia), Berlin (Germany), Amsterdam (Netherlands), Paris (France), Barcelona (Spain) and London (UK).
By cluesthe safety perception index (PSI) analyzed by Mabrian is led by Dubrovnik and Lisbon, followed by Milan and Madrid. At the bottom of this index are Berlin, Barcelona and Vienna. The Climate Perception Index (PCI), which helps to know the relationship between visitor expectations and the reality of the climate in the destination, is also led by Dubrovnik, followed by Rome and Milan; while at the other end, the bottom three are Amsterdam, Paris and Vienna. According to satisfaction index for hotels (HSI), the top marks are for the cities of Zagreb, Dubrovnik and Ljubljana, while London, Berlin and Amsterdam are at the bottom of the ranking. Regarding the perception of tourism product available, Dubrovnik, Ljubljana and Athens are at the top of the ranking, and at the bottom are Paris, Madrid and Barcelona.
According Carlos Cendradirector of sales and marketing of Mabrian, “there is a growing trend in demand for less crowded and more authentic destinations. For this reason, countries like Croatia and Slovenia and their capitals are very popular destinations due to their balance between a destination that offers security, a differentiated offer of activities and a very attractive average price. The most mature urban destinations are experiencing a rebound effect in demand that generates higher average prices and a reduction in the customer experience due to possible saturation at certain times and places”.
Learn more about Mabrian Technologies